Benjamin Macke was born in 1983 in Hazebrouck, in the North of France. His family members are musicians in a wind band and he was playing classical percussions and jazz drums. At that time he also discovered traditional music through local musician. Only when he was 18 he started to play accordion. He learned to play it as an autodidact and during meetings with other musicians..
Since 2004 Benjamin Macke is a professional musician who is involved with many different groups and projects:
Shillelagh (since 2002) is a band who plays for dancing, « music from Flanders and elsewhere » with Gabriel Lenoir and Aurélien Tanghe. www.shillelagh.fr
Collectif Muzikaciné (since 2010), around music for silent film. There are here several "ciné-concert" as La Maîtresse des Ombres, Odna, Duo Muzikaciné, Les Trois Lumières, Ciné-concert de Poche, and also music workshop with silent films, soundtrack for movies... www.muzikacine.fr
Duo Birgit Bornauw & Benjamin Macke (since 2009), duo who met around bal and traditional music. They propose now their concert It's Baroque to my Ears. www.macke-bornauw.com
La Compagnie des Balladins (since 2002) is a group which joines music and story telling with each other. In the group Benjamin plays with Pascal Duclermortier and Gabriel Lenoir. They have made three shows together; the last one, Contes à 1000 gueules..
He also was the accordeonist of Duo Bastringue from 2005 to 2012, and codirector of The Big Border Orchestra in 2013-2014.
- Shillelagh : Hemels Douwe (Compagnie Macke-Bornauw – 2017)
- Duo Macke-Bornauw : It's Baroque to my Ears (Bémol Productions – 2016)
- Shillelagh : le Vagabond (Bémol Productions – 2013)
- Benjamin Macke : l’Accordéon diatonique (Bémol Productions – 2012)
- Le Duo Bastringue & Rachel Bazoge : l’Arbre à danses (Bémol Productions – 2010)
- Shillelagh : Germaine (Bémol Productions – 2009)
- Le Duo Bastringue : Bruit qui danse (Bémol Productions – 2007)
- Shillelagh : Danses sur l’eau (Bémol Productions – 2006)
- Shillelagh : Musique à danser (Autoproduction – 2004)